Below you can see the WCO Royal Jazz Ensemble's performance and clinic from the 2018 East Side Jazz Festival at Oak Grove High School, filmed by Mr. Adam Romayor. If you are interested in a DVD copy, please contact Mr. Vasquez at email@example.com
Below you can see the 2017 WCO Winter Concert in it's entirety, filmed by Mr. Adam Romayor. If you are interested in a DVD copy, please contact Mr. Vasquez at firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the William C. Overfelt High School Royal Band for an evening of holiday festivities! Baked goods and hot chocolate will be sold at intermission, gift baskets will be raffled off, and we will be showcasing the music of the Percussion Ensemble, Concert Band, Symphonic Band, and The Royal Jazz Ensemble.
Wednesday December 6, @ 6:30PM in F-5. Admission is free.
Join the William C. Overfelt Department of Performing Arts for our Fall Concert, featuring music written by American composers and artists. The Fall Concert will take place on Wednesday October 11, 2017 in room F-5 on the W.C. Overfelt High School Campus. The show will begin at 6:30PM and will last roughly 90 minutes. Admission is free.
WCO Music parents, students, family, and friends,
Welcome back to school! I’m excited to say that the Overfelt Royal Band has expanded to three class periods for the 2017-2018 school year with almost 90 students participating!
With the program expanding, the need for establishing a strong parent booster club has become even more pressing. Last year, several parents began monthly meetings to establish the rules and bylaws of the WCO Music Booster Parent Club and to pursue fundraising opportunities to benefit the band.
This year, under the leadership of Cheryl Reyes, we are looking for more parents to join in the efforts and help expand our fundraising and grant writing efforts. The first parent meeting of the 2017-2018 school year will be Tuesday August 22nd at 7PM in the WCO Band Room (I-1). We invite all parents and guardians to come, meet fellow band parents, and join in the discussion.
We will be addressing:
· The schedule of Band events for the Fall 2017 Semester
· Student grading and expectations
· Instrument inventory
· What to look for if you are purchasing an instrument for your student
· Fundraisers and potential new fundraising events
· 501c3 status
Please join us for this very important event, and help us grow our William C. Overfelt Music Department.
Mr. Colby Vasquez / Band Director & Music Teacher
William C. Overfelt High School- Department of Music
1835 Cunningham Avenue
San Jose, CA 95122 wcomusic.org
Below is the schedule of performances for the Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Percussion Ensemble, and Royal Pep Band for the Fall 2017 semester. Students in all classes are expected to attend all performances, and failure to attend a performance may result in a lower grade.
Students with unavoidable schedule conflicts with performances must contact Mr. Vasquez via email (email@example.com) at least 30 days before the event. Absences will be considered "excused" or "unexcused" at the discretion of Mr. Vasquez.
The full and updated schedule is also available at http://www.wcomusic.org/calendar/
FRI Aug 25 (7PM) Home Football Game vs. Gilroy
FRI Sept 1 (TBD) Away Football Game @ Santa Clara HS
FRI Sept 15 (7PM) Home Football Game vs. Lincoln
SAT Sept 23 (TBD) SJSU Band Day (vs. Utah State)
FRI Sept 29 (7PM) Home Football Game vs. James Lick (Homecoming)
WED Oct 11 (6:30PM) Fall Concert
FRI Oct 20 (7PM) Home Football Game vs. Yerba Buena
FRI Nov 3 (7PM) Home Football Game vs. Prospect
SAT Nov 11 (11AM) Veterans Day Parade
WED Dec 6 (6:30PM) Winter Concert
- Student Setup- Wednesday during 6th period
- Music Student Call Time- 5:15PM
- Concert Begins- 6:30PM
Do you love delicious Chipotle Burritos? OF COURSE YOU DO!
Join the WCO Band at Chipotle (Capitol Expy & Tully) on Friday September 30 from 11AM-9PM! 50% of the proceeds gathered with the event flyer will be donated to the WCO Band!
- Download the event flyer or have the flyer handy on your mobile device.
- When checking out, show the cashier the event flyer along with your payment.
- Enjoy your burrito, burrito bowl, taco salad, or whatever you ordered!
- 50% of the proceeds will be donated to the Overfelt Music Department to help purchase new instruments and supplies.
Thanks for your support!
Store Address: 2990 E Capitol Expy #40, San Jose, CA 95148
Tuesday August 9, 2016 will be the first day of the new school year at William C. Overfelt High School! To kick-off the school year, the entire school will gather in the Gym from 8:20-9:00AM for the "First-Day-of-School Assembly." The band will be performing at this event! Here are the logistics of how it will unfold:
- IF YOU ATTENDED THE REHEARSAL ON 8/5/2016: Report to the Band Room (I-1) at 7:20AM instead of your 1st period class. Mr. Vasquez will have a sign-in sheet that you must sign in order to be excused from your 1st period class. After a quick meeting, we will gather our instruments, flip folders, and music stands before walking over to the Gym. After we set-up we will warm-up and rehearse until it is time to perform! Band students are encouraged to wear Overfelt attire or blue shirts!
- IF YOU ARE A FRESHMAN (OR NEW TO THE BAND) AND DID NOT ATTEND THE REHEARSAL ON 8/5/2016: Report to your 1st period class at 7:20AM, as indicated by your schedule. You will get to watch the band at this first performance, no need to worry about playing in it!
- IF YOU ARE A RETURNING BAND MEMBER (SOPHOMORE-SENIOR), BUT DID NOT ATTEND THE REHEARSAL ON 8/5/2016: Mr. Vasquez will NOT be checking out instruments the morning of the assembly. If you do not own your own instrument, follow the instructions for #2 (Freshman/New Members). If you have your own, you can join us If you'd like. Follow the instructions for #1 (People that attended the rehearsal).
If you are performing at the assembly, be prepared to play the following music, and make sure you have it in you flip-folder:
- Marching Band Hornline Warm Ups
- Overfelt Fight Song
- Royal Rousers
- Seven Nation Army
- Uptown Funk
- Want to Want Me (Jason Derulo)
Following the Assembly (9AM), we will quickly move back to the Band Room (I-1), pack up our instruments, and put them away. You will then immediately report to your 2nd period class by 9:05AM. If this takes longer than 5 minutes, Mr. Vasquez will contact your 2nd period teacher and excuse your tardiness to class.
Questions? Contact Mr. Vasquez at: firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to prepare for the Pep Band's first performance at the First-Day-of-School rally (August 9th), we will have a rehearsal day on Friday, August 5th. This rehearsal is not required, but is strongly recommended for those that can attend. It will give us a head start on the 2016-2017 school year.
Click the "RSVP Here" button below and fill out the Google Survey to let Mr. Vasquez know whether or not you will be coming to the rehearsal day!
Any questions? Contact Mr. Vasquez at email@example.com
Schedule: 10AM-12 Noon & 2PM-4:30PM
10AM: Meeting with Mr. Vasquez
10:30AM: Begin instrument check out and pass out music
11AM: Fundamentals and sectionals
12Noon- 2PM: Afternoon Lunch Break (Lunch is not provided. Students are advised to bring a lunch or make arrangements to eat off campus)
2PM: Rehearsal (Fight Song, Star Spangled Banner, & Other Pep Tunes)
4PM Wrap up
4:30PM: Rehearsal ends
Hello students and parents! In order to prepare for the 2016-2017 school year I recommend that everyone involved with the bands and William C. Overfelt High School subscribe to the Remind App. Remind (formerly called Remind101) is an app designed for easy communication via text between teachers and students without the need to exchange phone numbers. Remind will prove particularly useful on performance days like football games, concerts, and field trips.
In the past Mr. Gomez has used Remind to communicate with students, however the app requires that each teacher has an individual account. Because of this, EVERYONE needs to sign up for the 2016-2017 version of Remind in order to receive messages from Mr. Vasquez.
Students in the bands are expected to subscribe for the Remind alerts. Parents of students are welcome to subscribe in order to stay up-to-date with current band news, but this is not required. Students in Guitar and Piano courses do not need to subscribe. Standard text message rates do apply.
To subscribe text "@WCOband" to 81010
or visit www.remind.com/join/wcoband